This post is part of the Gadgetizer Dictionary.
- What is the meaning of the USB acronym?
Universal Serial Bus
- What is USB?
USB is a serial bus standard to interface devices. It was designed for computers such as PCs and the Apple Macintosh, but its popularity has prompted it to also become commonplace on video game consoles, PDAs, cellphones; and even devices such as televisions, mp3 players and portable memory devices.
It was designed to allow peripherals to be connected without the need to plug expansion cards into the computer’s ISA, EISA, or PCI bus, and to improve plug-and-play capabilities by allowing devices to be hot-swapped
Check all the USB related entries.
- USB 1.0: Released in January 1996.
- USB 1.1: Released in September 1998.
- USB 2.0: Released in April 2000. The major feature of this standard was the addition of high-speed mode. This is the current revision.
- USN 2.0: Revised in December 2002. Added three speed distinctions to this standard, allowing all devices to be
- USB 2.0 compliant even if they were previously considered only 1.1 or 1.0 compliant.
Blogs covering USB technology:
USB Information provided by this Wikipedia entry.